Resurrected my standalone blog for the third time, this time again on Octopress and still on 2.0 version. I didn’t intend to do this but there is still no good blogging platform with code highlighting support.
I set it up pretty quickly but the first problem was that I wanted to keep old
content but I didn’t have source code for it anymore. Converting by hand seemed
tedious so I thought about hiring someone on oDesk but then, after a few Google
searches I found a tool to convert HTML back to markdown — reverse_markdown ruby gem.
At first attempt it did no
conversion but after stripping all HTML code around actual post content (the
most important is to remove
article tags around) it produced nice markdown
which I put back into Octopress.
After initial import I did some cleanup — removed unnecessary
from post permalinks, fixed links in old content pointing to my old-old
MovableType blog and imported static files into Octopress. To check all links I
installed link-checker ruby gem
— it works pretty fine but seems to be having problems with some
After comparing generated HTML with old blog using
diff I have found a bug in
Octopress: canonical link for categories pages is broken by default — has
/, see Octopress issue #949
for fix. Once I was satisfied with content I deployed it to server using
For those currently using Octopress, it will be a while before the new releases can compete with the features of the old version.